Cold Weather Prep Checklist
As we’re heading into the colder months, it’s important to prepare your home for the change in temperature.
It's that time of year again. Now that Fall has arrived, Winter is sure to take the stage sooner than we'd all like. But, before temperatures get too low, now is an excellent time to prep your home for winter. We've gone ahead and created a Cold Weather Prep Checklist and a convenient, printable checklist so you can ensure your HVAC system and plumbing can handle the freezing temperatures of the following months.
- Clean/replace AC air filter. One of the common culprits for poor airflow and increased allergies are the air filters in your home.
- Seal air leaks. Sealing air leaks around key areas like windows and doorways is one of the least expensive yet fiscally responsible things you can do.
- Test your furnace to ensure it works. Test your furnace before you need it. When you turn up your thermostat, you may notice a slight burning smell. This is normal and results from any dust that may have accumulated on your unit. You many consider a furnace tune-up if your system is not performing to your standards.
- Drain the garden hose. Drain hoses and irrigation systems of water, disconnect, and store properly.
- Locate shut-off valves. It is important to know where your shut-off valves are in the event that your pipes start to leak or burst. Make other family members aware in case of an emergency.
Download the printable Cold Weather Prep Checklist to prepare your home for the colder months ahead. If you discover problems with your plumbing or HVAC system after reviewing the checklist, give Commercial Service a call at 812-339-9114 or schedule an appointment online.
Submit your email address to receive your checklist.